- The sapients of Urukon are classified into cultures.
- Cultures vary in where in the world they live, and in what numbers.
- Each culture produces a particular mix of resources.
- Cultures also govern the cost of hostile actions directed at the cities where they live.
- Populations passively grow over time, and can shrink as a result of some actions and events.
- Control is a measure of how well a city is integrated into a faction.
- When control is 50, the faction receives 50% of each culture's nominal resource yields.
- Current control slowly rises or falls toward the equilibrium control value.
- Equilibrium control is a function of distance from the faction capital and prosperity.
- Equilibrium control cannot be less than 10, except if the city is cut off from the faction capital.
- An isolated city will lose control rapidly, and become independent when control reaches zero.
- AI-controlled factions keep track of their relations with other factions.
- Negative relations increase the likelihood of hostile actions, and positive relations decrease it.
- Relations are not symmetrical: it's possible for a faction to hate another faction, without being hated back.
- Starting relations are governed by historical events.
- During the game, relations are gradually modified by actions.
- All cities are grouped into geographic regions.
- AI-controlled factions have inherent amounts of interest in each region.
- A faction with a high interest in a region will expend more resources to try to control it.
- Many landmarks and special rules limit their effects to specific regions.
- Some random events are limited to specific regions.
- Goals that seem impossible at first can become tractable with some patience and planning.
- If you spend all the resources in your stockpile, you'll be forced to pass turns.
- Fewer neighbours means fewer adversaries, but also fewer trading partners.
- Minding relations and region preferences can help you pit your neighbours against each other.
- Adjacency modifiers can create choke points, but are bypassed by Negotiate.
- Keep track of which relics and completed landmarks your neighbours have.